Flagstaff in Motion
Flagstaff in Motion
Planning efforts are currently underway to update the region’s five-year transit plan. We welcome and encourage your participation to help shape the plan. As planning efforts progress, this site will continue to be updated with new information and opportunities to share input.
To receive notices about updates to this site and public input opportunities for Flagstaff In Motion, visit the ‘Sign Up To Receive Updates’ tab and submit your email address.
Thank you to the many that provided feedback to help inform the Future Needs Assessment stage. A summary of findings from the Future Needs Assessment stage can be found in the "Future Needs Assessment" tab. This includes the highlights from the public feedback and results of the technical analysis.
NEXT OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC FEEDBACK - January 2022
Based on the results from the Future Needs Assesment we will be developing short- and long-term transit scenarios and corresponding funding measures that will be made available on this site for public review and input.
About Flagstaff in Motion
Flagstaff in Motion addresses how to best provide and fund Mountain Line transit services. Amongst the key outcomes that will be generated as part of this effort is a prioritized list of service growth scenarios to support the region’s current and future transit needs. The framework for this plan will be based on the results from a comprehensive technical evaluation and community feedback.
SMART Goals & Objectives
To guide how Flagstaff In Motion will address the needs and priorities of the community we are using Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-based SMART Goals. For example, SMART Goals will serve as selection criteria to help the project team identify and rank transit improvements. Listed below are the SMART Goals and Objectives that have been identified for this project.
Continue to improve the quality and convenience of transit services in Northern Arizona to provide attractive transportation options for the community
Increase access to transit services
Continue to improve mobility for people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds
Continue to reduce carbon consumption and emissions from single-occupant vehicle trips by providing attractive and convenient transit services to promote a healthier and more sustainable community
Integrate transit services with land use planning policies to continue to support economic development and community growth
Continue to reduce the cost of living in Northern Arizona by providing affordable transportation options
Development Process and Timeline
Your participation is vital to the development of this plan to ensure it responds to region’s transit needs and priorities. Opportunities to participate and help inform this plan will continue to made available as the plan progresses through the development process.
- As Flagstaff continues to change the region’s transit needs are also changing. Your input will help Mountain Line better understand Flagstaff’s diverse transit needs.
- Many of the transit services Mountain Line provides are funded with your sales tax dollars.
- Transit affects the region’s economic, social and environmental vitality.
- Investing in transit helps fund street improvements that can enhance bicycle and pedestrian safety and alleviate traffic congestion on Flagstaff’s roadways.
Why Have a Transit Plan?
As communities change and grow over time it is important that the transit services are evaluated on a regular basis so that the service can continue to meet the needs of the community. Transit plans are roadmaps that identify opportunities to better understand key transit markets. Recommendations from the plans focus on improving the service to provide cost effective and equitable mobility options to the community as a whole in a future funding scenario, and providing options for reallocation of resources to better meet the needs of current riders in a current funding scenario. Transit plans also identify strategies to optimize the operations of the service. Transit plans today focus on more than just transit. It is an opportunity to find mobility solutions including tying together the interconnected network of bikes, pedestrians, transit, micromobility and mobility on demand.
Key Transit Plan Components
- Overview of existing conditions and the transit market
- Assessment of transit and mobility needs and key issues
- Strategies to meet the mobility needs of the community
- Recommended service updates
- Financial plan
- Implementation plan
The Range of Possibilities
- Incorporate new mobility service types to better serve transit markets in Flagstaff. This could include app-based demand response service such as microtransit.
- Explore new smarter, cleaner and innovative ways of providing mobility to the region including electrification of buses and automated vehicle technologies.
- Identify potential new areas for transit and mobility services in Flagstaff and the region with a focus on equity.
- Identify opportunities to improve the efficiency of the bus routes.
- Explore the frequency of buses and the hours of service based on transit demand.
- Focus on direct and fast service options.
- Develop a network of transit service delivery options based on transit markets and frequency of service.
The Value of Transit to Our Community Members
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (928) 851-3888